God and Government - part 2

>> April 3, 2010

In the real world, while discussing some things that I believe pertaining to God and faith, a couple of my friends on separate occasions have labeled me a Zionist. I'll confess, I'm unsure what that term exactly means in the true definition because it seems to have several different connotations and explanations. I only use the term here as a reference point to another issue.

The topic under discussion was the Tribulation and the return of Christ as foretold in the book of Revelation. The reason we were discussing it was my belief that we, each of us, has a hand in how fast or slow that prophecy approaches.

It is said that Thomas Jefferson's motto was "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God." I happen to agree. I think that if tyranny grows, then the dark hours of the end of our world get closer. On the other hand, if we fight back tyrants and put them in their proper place, then we delay the time of the Great Second Coming. (Just think of how much closer we would be if Hitler would have won.)

I know there are those fruitcakes out there who think it's their job to accelerate the pace of this little party called Armageddon but I don't agree. It's not God's style. Why wouldn't he want the Second Coming postponed as long as possible? It's a win-win. God get's more converts and we get to stay here in freedom a while longer. The longer it takes to get here, the more worshippers for him.

I think this is why they used the term Zionist, because I believe in the Second Coming, but like I said before it may be a misunderstanding of the definition on their part or mine.

Along with this discussion, other questions have been raised. Thought provoking philosophical discussions as to destiny and free will and whether the book of Revelation is actually prophecy or just John sitting in a cave in exile being pissed off and writing a rant at the dude who stuck him there.

Me? I happen to believe it is prophesy, which led one friend to go down the destiny road and say "If it's destined to happen, then you can't do any thing about it." To which I replied ""Yes we can, we can help forestall it." Which then got into a free will vs destiny discussion. Personally, I have no problem with the two existing in the same world because if God is all knowing, then he is certainly able to know what you are going to choose before you choose it. That doesn't stop you from making the choice, nor does it force you to either.

Given today's philosophical rhetoric, Peter might have wanted to believe that he lacked a choice in denying Christ. The fact was, he did it of his own free will. Christ even told him about it up front. You would think that being forewarned about something would keep you from doing it, but he was scared for his own life and made the choice three times. The good thing was, he was forgiven the moment he did it. All he had to do was confess it. God's kinda cool like that.

One last thought. I wrote in God and Government part 1 about the power of prayer, urging all of us to pray for our country and its leaders. We need to continue interceding more than ever. Here is why:

I believe an interceding prayer is powerful not only in helping the person being prayed for, it helps the person doing the praying. I believe that when one intercedes for another, you are closer to God's will than at any other time. It is possibly at those moments when God has as close a thing to a direct connection to you than any other. Didn't he say "Pray without ceasing?" I believe that when we intercede for another we are acting in a godly fashion. Isn't there a verse that instructs us to "Act as if you have faith and faith will be given to you." or something like that? If not, it sure sounds good.

The bottom line is this. God loves us. He wants us to be like him. He doesn't want anyone to die. He gave us free will and a choice to make. The question is, what choice are you making? Keep in mind, as the band Rush put it so plainly "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

God loves you, friend. Happy Easter.

9 comments:

theCL April 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

Good post! Here's a link to a short, but proper understanding of Zionism. It's not about the Tribulation.

http://www.jewsagainstzionism.com/zionism/whatis.cfm

Adding my own 2 cents ... I don't think we can either forestall or bring on the end of the world. I think that's God's choice. But who knows?

Gorges Smythe April 3, 2010 at 11:23 PM  

For those who think God is on a strict time table; what about Hezekiah's extra 15 years, and what about all the times God said "IF my people..." and then promised them a long and continuing relationship?

5etester April 4, 2010 at 6:25 AM  

A tricky premise.The Bible tells us that ONLY God knows the end time,so any of us only speculate on it.The problem is my free will can affect your life.I may choose today to buy a gun and end your life.This ends your free will choices and your effect on the world.What if Obama were today to utilize his free will and push the nuke button and blow up the world?What if this didn't fit in with the timeline God chose to end the world?I can only surmise we don't really have free will choices,we only think we do.If you were the Creator,would you leave the door open for us little peons to write the ending for you?

robot April 4, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

Hi CL, thanks for the kind words and the link. While you may be right about us not being able to affect the timing, I still think of it as our duty to try. But more importantly to help lead others who would listen to Him.

robot April 4, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

Gorges, I knew you would chime in with some sage wisdom on this one :) Happy Easter my friend.

robot April 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

5e, all I can say is In my mind, salvation through Jesus doesn't work without free will. God doesn't want Robots. *uh oh* He gave us the choice between everlasting life or the knowledge of good and evil back in the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve chose knowledge. He may have known what they would do, but that didn't stop him from allowing it to happen. My thinking is, He looked ahead and weighed the outcome versus some other unfathomable alternative and chose to proceed with this little experiment we find ourselves in.

It's also interesting you bring up the nuke because the Bible says the world will end with fire. As to the rest, I'll just refer to my response to CL.

Happy Easter Sir. I hope you have a great one.

Amusing Bunni April 5, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

Hi LHC! This is such a wonderful post. I think Zionism has to do with being Jewish, but good Christians stand with Israel, so it's all good. I hope you had a blessed Easter, and a wonderful Easter Monday!

I wasn't online all weekend. I wanted to take a break and think about God's great sacrifice to us, and the happiness of Easter. Prayer helps everyone involved, and the Bible says that when 2 agree and come together in God's name, it's very good. TTYL

TS/WS April 6, 2010 at 12:22 AM  

I think Zion got twisted, along somewhere in history. Like Yahuah-His Hebrew name was taken away from the masses. Some Could remember and pass along to the next generation.
Then Epiphanes outlawed it and started calling the Jews a bunch of Yahoos.
Zelots are what those who are putting down Zion really mean; but have twisted it around on purpose.
Those who hate Yahuah will hate anyone who loves Him.

TS/WS April 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM  

Yahushua came in the (His) Fathers name-Yahuah. It ain't Jewish, it is Hebrew.
I tend to give Him esteem and respect, I have started to use the Hebrew names for both of them.
That's just from my studies, once you know -it's up to you to give in to secularism, or hold on to the real stuff.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

USO

USO
Donate!
Powered By Blogger

Congratulations!

You win the "I scrolled to the bottom of the blog award". Which is an empty paper bag of hot air. But then, if you made it this far, that is exactly what you've received. Glad you stopped by.
Please, while you're here, hit he USO tip jar. Thanks.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP