30 Republican Senators Dropped the Ball

>> October 19, 2009

WASHINGTON - DECEMBER 19:  Former Halliburton/...Image by Getty Images via Daylife
via The Guardian - Here is the case of Jamie Leigh Jones, the defense contractor who was gang raped by employees of KBR and prevented from suing her employer by terms of her contract which "forced" (unfortunate wording) arbitration in lieu of lawsuit.

It would seem to me that if KBR in fact turned a blind eye to this situation that they were the ones who broke their contract with Ms. Jones and that she would still have the right to sue for damages.

I only bring up this case to point out the fact that thirty (30) Republican Congressmen voted against an amendment to the "2010 Defense Appropriations Bill that would withhold defense contracts from companies like KBR if they restrict their employees from taking workplace sexual assault, battery and discrimination cases to court."

Now I'm no fan of Senator Al Frankin,  but, I think the Republicans just missed an opportunity to do the right thing here. Never mind that they just gave the dem's a huge card to play in the coming elections. Maybe they didn't like the amendment's wording. At least argue for modification.

I'm open for comment on this.
Can someone show me where I'm missing the point?

I'm well aware of the fact that Halliburton and KBR are big campaign contributors. I'm trying not to go there but...


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

USO

USO
Donate!
Powered By Blogger

Congratulations!

You win the "I scrolled to the bottom of the blog award". Which is an empty paper bag of hot air. But then, if you made it this far, that is exactly what you've received. Glad you stopped by.
Please, while you're here, hit he USO tip jar. Thanks.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP